Sunday, September 25, 2011

Posted by my brother Dirk

Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:32:27 PM
Subject: Donation - a donors experience Dirk Evans
Greetings to all of you,
When I learned that I was a perfect match to donate Stem Cells to my brother Abraham, I was elated! What a humble previlege to be choosen - certainly I had nothing to do with it - to donate!

Elly and I have now been in Houston, with Abe and Lynne, for 12 days, and have perhaps a week to go. Starting with Monday the 12th I have been at M D Anderson Cancer Center every single day. I have had more tests that I realized existed... well a lot of tests; I have lost track of the number of times they drew my blood - one time they took 12 viles! (I did agree to participate in 'research' two viles for that). I had a 'stress echo' (measures heart beat and strength) which got my heart beat up to 127 per minute, then all the way to 150. I was pumping without the huffing. But the rate made me nervous; I talked that over with the MD the next day, that settled me down.

The thing is they need to check all my systems that could be involved in donating.

All that being in order - with one slight scare - my billiruben seemed high, corrected itself by the next day-  then came getting ready to donate. Friday, the 16 I got the first injection of nuepegen - a growth hormone that Lance Armstrong should not have taken! The hormone is given to stimulat growth of the number of Stem Cells. Four days of those in my belly, all done at the hospital. So every day of the 12 so far, I have been at the hospital.

Monday the 19th I finally got attached to the machine which separates the Stem Cell by centrifucal force, like a cream separator of olden days. Only what blood came out the right arm, went rigth back in the left arm (after skimming off the Stem Cells), for three full rounds; take up to four hours.

But  that first harvest yielded only .7 units, instead of the 4 needed. So today I had another hook up and filtering done. Tomorrow I learn the outcome; but I am already scheduled to do another trip on the machine. Oh yes, after each event, more blood work!

With that low yield the first day, I felt very disappointed, but today we did more; and no matter what it takes I will see this thing through.

After all, we are talking about my cell, stem cells as a means of preserving Abram's life!

Tomorrow another day in the process as a little bit of my blood cells for his entire life!

Elly is a great help in standing by, explaining what she knows, learning new things and holding my hand  - especially when I was overcome with tearful joy in giving life.

Peace

Dirk

No comments:

Post a Comment