Wednesday, September 14, 2011

8 ball - right side pocket

I never have been very good at playing pool. I understand all about the angles and cushion and bank shots and all of that. It was always the scatteredness of the game that left me unsatisfied. You take one shot and balls go all over in patterns that mathematically, I'm sure make sense, but leave everthing scrambled. What I did like was that the on the first round almost any thing can happen. Give it your best shot. After that you had to be particular and there were always unintended consequences to a play. Then you try a different shot. Finally you're left with the 8 ball. This one really counts.
Well today felt a little like that. Dirk was medically cleared to begin the stem cell donation. I was given an admission date to the hospital to begin chemo following his successful donation. The call was made by Dr. Khouri to go ahead. 8 ball - right side pocket.  The stakes are higher, the cushions and  the banks still count and other balls can still get in the way. All too  familiar am I with skill and science coming together,
taking their best shot and waiting to see how it works. It has inherent risks and I am not naieve about that so Drs. and staff and hospital take the shot and I, along a host of others, will pray for God's
hand upon this endeavor. 8 ball- right side pocket. Take the shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment