Monday, September 26, 2011

Once Upon A Time .....

 "Once upon a time----there was  a dog----- whose name was -----Dog." That's what we did on some trips with the grand kids. One person would start a story and then in turn we each would add a phrase and around and around we'd go. It seemed that at a certain age the children were fascinated with bodily functions and inevitably the story would include the animal relieving themselves. It came to be a joke that everything would go to "poop".
  There are times I am reminded of that  in life. As we go along there are parts of the story of my life over which I have no control. I add my line. Dirk adds his. The Drs. add theirs. And the disease adds its own story lines as well. Sometimes it feels like it is going to poop. Today Dirk adds another phrase by being tested again and getting ready to donate stem cells. I'm here to get blood tests as well and have the catheter installed. That's my line. We meet with Dr. Khouri to hear his report at 1:00 based on all my tests last week. What will the disease add to the story line? I always tried to get my kids to change the story. Overly optimistic? With my grand kids I go along with their humor. With cancer I want to yell, "Stop!!! You don't get to tell my story!!!". It doesn't work. It's hard to recognize we have so little control. We just came back from apheresis and Dirk's platelets were good so he adds this to his line in the story. He now waits for the count on his stem cells,  sometime around 12:00. I leave the story open here and wait for the next line.

No comments:

Post a Comment