Saturday, March 10, 2012

At 5:30 AM, T-Plus 2

I had been up for awhile so I took a walk. I was sitting in the family area and I saw him come off the elevator. One  look at his face and I knew something was not right. He was in a hurry and he averted eye contact even though we had spoken before. Later I found out that his son was unresponsive and was being transferred to an ICU. I went back to my room and wept for him. And I wept for myself. This young man was a 3 year survivor of the SCT and complications even now plagued him. So also I wept for the father for I too have watched a son struggle with cancer and I wept for myself because that could be me some day with complications. It was a rocky start to what I had hoped would be an uneventful Saturday. Lynne came and spent the day and that helped a lot. Someone saw her Un. of Mich. shirt and introduced herself. She apparently works there. It's a small world. They are here to visit their daughter who is a 7 year SCT survivor and wile here developed and e coli infection and that set off the graft vs  host disease. There will  always be need for vigilance for the rest of my life. Now every ache or pain or rash or sore will be scrutinized. Nothing can be minimized like we were taught to shake it off and move on. So in that light as I was getting ready for bed I felt a soreness below my knee and I looked closer and it appears a varicose vein is swelling and tomorrow they will ultrasound it. So
with a warm pack on my elevated leg I am going to bed.  That's enough for one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment