Friday, February 24, 2012

T minus 13 - Countdown to Transplant

Still Friday. Still on course. That's where we are - I'm flat on my back getting my first round of Rituximab. That's where we are. Right on course. We were not always sure it would happen. At 9:00 this morning Dr. Vu took a biopsy of the nodule in the thyroid. It had been there before - last year - still there now - just a bit larger.  Preliminary results? Not leukemia (CLL) related and not an indication of infection. Our inclination was that the CLL is in remission so why not wait a week or so until we get the final results of the radiology reports on the biopsy. In our conversation with Yvonne, Dr. Khouri's PA, we discussed this and there were lots of questions. We were assured that there did not seem to be any need to be concerned about the nodule. Our question finally was. "What's the reason for going ahead instead of waiting for the final report?". The answer was, "The transplant cells are fresh stem cells". That means they have not been preserved and frozen and that's good. Delays would mean they would have to reschedule the donor for the harvest and that could get more complicated. Result? It's 3:30 and I'm flat on my back getting my first round of chemo.We started this route in Sept. and we're moving ahead, T-minus 13and counting.

It's 6:30. As the story unfolds, I have had a reaction to the Retuximab as I had 2X before so that infusion stops - a second infusion of benadryl is added - also a second infusion of steroids. We finished that and now restart of the Retuximab, adding about 2.5 hours to the treatment. It's 9:30 - we are home. Clean up and go to bed - T minus 13 is in the bag and we are on course despite the twists and turns. So I bid you  "Good Night".

No comments:

Post a Comment