Saturday, April 21, 2012

Take 2 Verses Daily

On Friday I had an infusion for the Magnesium again and a visit with the Nurse Practioner and the Pharmacist since Dr. Khouri was out of town. We reviewed the ER incident and it was decided that since there were no repeats of the uncontrolled pain in the back that we would leave everything alone for now. Any kinds of surgical procedures are out of the question at least during the first 100 days. We are not completely sure what caused the pain, however there are some new spinal issues that warrent some looking into in the future. For now the Stem Cell Transplant is the focus and that is coming along well. All of the treatments do interact though and the bones have taken a beating from the chemo, steriods and all the other medications (about 20 pills every day), and that does not take into account how the leukemia has affected the bone marrow and the strength of the bones during this time. I will have a follow up with the Endocrinologist in a few weeks and she will do some more bone density testing. She did this earlier so she has a base line for comparison. She had said I did not have osteoperosis, however that word was used this past week more than once.

So some of this feels like a bit of a let down. I had hoped these type of complications would not raise their ugly heads. They are cited in the studies, though, as things that do show up and do make it harder for patients to have successful transplants. My atrial fibrulation has already played a part on 2 occassions and my history of ulcers is always a risk with the graft vs host often targeting the gut as well as tolerating all the meds. I have had to, on several occassions, remind myself that they are the secondary issues and the Transplant is primary. And that has meant doing the best I can do to minimize the secondary and give room for the primary to take place. As to that we are still on track and that is encouraging. The last time in there were no modifications on the meds. There are only 2 infusions on the calender for next week, compared to daily ones a couple of weeks ago. The blood counts are not yet where they could be because of one anti viral medication I was on. It has since been stopped and the counts are beginning to rebound. Lynne and I were talking about how exhausted we were and rest does not come easy when questions are unanswered. Physical fatigue I like and the work and rest cycle, I do well at that. This, though, with this I do not do as well and sleep and thinking don't mix.


Cast “all your care upon Him, for He cares for you” (1 Peter 5:7).

Jesus said: “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest” (Matthew 11:28).
So I will take 2 verses with my morning coffee and enjoy this Saturday with temps about 75 and a Chamber of Commerce Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment