Thursday, January 12, 2012

One Year And Still Kicking

 I'm a survivor of one year and able to sit up and take nourishment. Last year January, I saw an oncologist for the first time and the diagnosis was leukemia and by the 26th of the month we were at MDA for a second opinion. Now some 12 months later, I feel better than I have in a year. After all the poking and prodding and scanning and imaging and aspirating and transfusing and zapping with chemo and throw in a couple of emergency stays and tons of medicines now a year later I am alive and kicking, as the old saying goes. For about 2 months I have done very well now. I am making the most of it, for I have no illusions about the prognosis of the disease. It is in there, inside of me, somewhat dormant now, but I have been told it is still in there and I am never able to forget that.  The precautions still apply. My immune system ain't what it used to be. Providentially I have avoided the flu and other nasty things. I get 8 to 10 hours of sleep a day and rest a lot. Still I feel better than I have in a very long while. At this point in time a Stem Cell Transplant is still the best treatment out there. It is for that , that we wait. There is apparently no reason to rush as long as the leukemia is not returning yet. There were some numbers thrown out there about 6 to 8 months to return after the chemo. Last chemo was July. I'm doing the math. It could be longer. It could be shorter. In the meantime wasn't yesterday a great day? It was, wasn't it? Today is looking good as well. Alive and kicking.


New International Version (©1984)
Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom. Psalm 90:12

New International Version (©1984)
"Show me, O LORD, my life's end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting is my life. Psalm 39:4

No comments:

Post a Comment