Sunday, November 27, 2011

Yes, Patiently Waiting

Do you recall how in some of the earlier post we spoke of the waiting we did when we were down at MDA? Well that type of waiting often seemed to involve appointments moving slowly, Drs. being late, test results not being ready, and just about anything else you can imagine. Often I would be left feeling  frustrated, something like being ignored. I think I got to the point of rolling with that one. The clinics have struggled with that one themselves but it persists.

We are waiting again but this one is different. When my brother was here making his best effort to donate stem cells we waited. They waited. We waited. The waiting was done with the recognition he was giving a great deal of his time and energy to make this happen. There is nothing there, but reasons to be thankful. Waiting was not an issue for me because I knew I was not being ignored. Rather, Dirk and Elly made me their top priority and put everything out there for the stem cells to be donated. Unfortunately it did not happen. As a result MDA had to go to the National Registry to search for an unrelated donor. That's what we're waiting for now. That means someone out there that I do not know is willing to be a donor for me and we have never ever met and probably never will. I can wait very patiently for that and for as long as it takes  and do it thankfully. Presently from some 900 people, they have narrowed that down to 3 that have a lot of potential to be good matches and 2 of the 3 have sent samples to MDA for further lab work and the 3rd should be along shortly. The last word was that after Thanksgiving we should begin to get some results in. And so we wait excitedly, patiently and thankfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment