Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Stars Shine Bright

The other night I walked out onto the veranda. All around the stars were shinning brightly. We live far enough out so we don't get a lot of the brightness of the city lights. So moon and stars put on a pretty good show. Since it was not cold I stayed out there for awhile to take in the scene. My mind went to the story in Genesis of another time and place. That man was told to leave behind everything and everyone and follow another faith journey. Because he did so, he was assured that others would follow in his faith journey and come to believe as he did, in this same God of Abraham and of his son Isaac and later his grandson, Jacob. As Abraham looked to the skies he was told that those who came to believe as he, would be as numerous as the stars in the sky, unable to be counted. Just for the fun of it I started to count stars. You're right. I could not. The other Abraham also could not. But what struck me deeply was this and it is as bright as the stars were that night.  I am one. I am one who has  come to believe in that same God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. As for which one of those lights in the sky represents me, impossible to tell.
Why do I share this? First: because it was a warm and reassuring experience, perhaps like being cradled by some very large arms, arms that also cradle the whole world all the way from Genesis and beyond to the present and to the end of time. Second: I felt like I fit, I belong,  I have a place and I am in good hands.
He took him outside and said, "Look up at the heavens and count the stars--if indeed you can count them." Then he said to him, "So shall your offspring be." (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment