Saturday, July 26, 2014

Riding the Ride

I just finished reading my last post. I was feeling pretty good then. Then and now, what a difference. On the 10 of July I had spiked a fever of 101.4, that is high for someone in my situation and that meant a trip to the ER at MDA and I spent 3 days on IV antibiotics and then 10 days on oral antibiotics. Nothing showed up on any of the blood work and temps dropped by the time I was admitted. I had been doing so well. While in the ER Lynne told them about a sore on the side of my neck that would not heal over, and wanted  dermatology to be called in for a consult, and a biopsy taken. Result? Basal cell carcinoma. I met with a dermatology surgeon  about removing it and he also biopsied another suspicious one and froze another spot on my left hand. I was warned that the process of treating cancer knocks out the immune system and having been on immune suppressing drugs as well I am a prime candidate to become a host for a multitude of , "slings and arrows". Hamlet asks, "Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them?"
 Oppose? We will. End? It is always a question. The surgeon says the success rate is 99%. Now I know that this cancer is more likely an issue about sun exposure than it is anything else and could be cumulative from a long time ago. It is my propensity for suspicion that this might be a foreshadowing of monsters in the dark, dark room of cancer where I live.
 I have ridden this roller coaster before and I know I will feel again what I did in the last post and I will take the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment