Monday, February 18, 2013

There's A Bluebird On Our Pine Tree

Back in Nov. of 2011 I posted a blog, "Birds of the Air" and I wrote about the trees that had died because of the drought. It was a particularly painful blog and we continue to wrestle with God's caring in light of Josh's dying.  One of my favorite past times is sitting, especially in the morning and the evening, ah heck it's any time of the day, and watching the birds and I guess the trees as well. One of those trees that died started to lose some branches. Then the top blew out in a wind storm. A couple of woodpeckers have been working that tree for several months now and coming back daily for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They have pecked a larger hole in one place and these birds have been known to nest in those. Last week Lynne and I were sitting outside and we  noticed a couple of bluebirds on the very top of the tree. They nest in similar places. One kept flying down to the hole and hovering there. The other never did follow. The male bluebird looks for nest sites and will wait for the female's approval. I have lots of time to see which, if anyone nests there. My bet is on the woodpecker. "Birds of the air and trees of the field.", I like that phrase. That tree has some life left I guess and still sustains life. Amazing. Even in death.
 

Isaiah 55:12

New International Version (NIV)
12 You will go out in joy
and be led forth in peace;
the mountains and hills
will burst into song before you,
and all the trees of the field
will clap their hands.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment