Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Bad News - Good News

It's the bad news - good news story. Let me explain.
It started about 10 days ago, a little sniffle, a slight runny nose, nothing more, no elevated temps, probably allergies, take some Claritin. It didn't help and persisted for 4 to 5 days and I had an appointment so they ran all the tests and put me on Tamaflu and Levaquin and see you in a week. After that I had some reactions to the Levaquin and got that settled. Then I began to have some temperature rises. The last thing Dr. Khouri said to me in the office was, "If you get a temp. Go to the ER"! For me that is 100.5. I am still immune suppressed and it is always a question of "How much can I handle?" For the last 6 days I have been taking my temp frequently, watching it go up and down. I has been at 100 on at least 2 occasions. Yesterday it was 98.7, last night 99 and this morning back to 98.6. Isaac has been listening to the lungs and they have stayed clear. Pneumonia is one of my biggest threats. Isaac put it into perspective. "Any other time you would have been in the hospital and this is a big step that you have held your own." I DO SO NOT WANT TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL I have another appointment tomorrow and will get an infusion of Pentamidine to prevent pneumonia. Sometimes I have forgotten how vulnerable I am because I have done so well. This is a reality check and with flu season coming I have had to renew my diligence to caution and not become careless. In Sept. I will have the 6 month post transplant tests and should reveal how the transplant is functioning and being able to produce the cells to fight infections and all the assaults to which we are all subject. You have an immune system, mine is still compromised and getting stronger. To have handled this seems to indicate it is getting stronger. I guess since the temps have gone down I am starting to exhale and celebrating Isaac's assessment that it is all working like it was planned. The bad news - I am sick. The good news - I'm handling it so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment