Saturday, December 24, 2011

The Maybe, Not Really, But Actually Could Be, Bucket List

So he hands me a journal note book and a pen and he asks, "Would you start writing down stories that you have used over the years"? It was one of those times we had determined I had more time on my hands than I knew what to do with. I wasn't sure what he was getting at, but it has been there in the back of my mind nagging at me.  So I have decided to honor his request because I take it as a great compliment that Isaac should ask me to write, since he is such a great writer. Now I think it is important to note that stories told and stories written are not always the same. If I used a story in a sermon there were all kinds of advantages to the oral setting and spoken word. Trying to write that same story down on paper doesn't always communicate the same way. It is a different medium and involves a different skill. What Isaac was remembering was oral. Writing? That's a different beast for me. Remember? I so good at am not nor to become not likely very good. I am, however, going to start down that road since I'm at home twiddling my thumbs on Christmas Eve while they have headed off to Church and I'm at home avoiding crowds.  So I will start the endeavor or endeavor to start and this story tonight has special memories for us at Christmas because it is has to do with The Story.


The text that night was from John 1:14, that part about the Word becoming flesh and dwelling among us. I remember wanting to illustrate the experiential side of the story because the "dwelling among us" has the sense about it of "pitching a tent" and living with us. The story that came to mind was, of when Isaac was about 2 or 3 years old. It was night time and he was in  his crib in his room next to ours sound asleep. A storm comes up and it starts to lightning and thunder and he starts to wake up. In the dark he says, "Mommy, daddy, I'm scared". I call back, " Just lie down and go back to sleep. We're over here and you"ll be alright". It's quiet. Then more thunder. "Daddy, I'm still scared". "You're okay." I said, "Snuggle up with your stuffed animals. We are over here. You'll be okay". Ah.Quiet. See it worked Then there was more thunder. "Daddy, mommy I'm still scared". What to do. Try again. I said, "Isaac, you're okay. You have all your stuffed animals. Mommy and daddy are over here and God is watching over us and will keep us safe". (preacher types do that) Quiet again . And then softly from the other room came his voice, "Daddy, I'm still scared.  I want something with skin on it". Of course in a few seconds he was in bed with us.


In the middle of the dark night of this life God became flesh, literally puts on skin and dwelt - pitched his tent and lived in this world with us, because we were afraid crying out in the night.


To all of you from all of us Merry Christmas. Love abe and lynne


P.S. This is a true story and has been used by others and become almost public domain. I will vouch for that, in fact, Isaac , when he was about 10 negotiated a fee from me for using his story. I guess I owe him another $10

1 comment: